Friday, March 20, 2015

Original Norfolk Southern 8114

Updated 04/17/15:
The 8114 came back through leading 201, it was another after dark opportunity, but at least this time it wasn't raining. It's not much better, but eventually it'll be back during daylight hours and I can get a decent picture, maybe even the return trip on 202!


__________________________________

Well it finally happened ... I finally got to see all 20 of the Norfolk Southern Heritage engine fleet. The 20th one had proved quite elusive, having been almost two years since I began collecting pictures of them on trains through Jonesborough.The final motor was the 8114 Original Norfolk Southern with a bright orange paint scheme.

A FB train buddy alerted me to the 8114 being on a train that was having trouble. The 8114 was the 4th of four engines, and it was the cause of the trouble. The 8114 was not running right and the train was so long that it need all four engines to make it to Bristol. I think the train got stuck on the hill coming up out of Jonesborough, but they finally got it running just enough to get up that hill and up the valley toward Piney Flats, but it stalled out there again and another engine was dispatched to push it into Bristol.

I had a good plan for getting a picture; the ETSU Bucs were playing a night home baseball game so I knew they would have the lights on. The train track runs along the first base side of the field about 50 ft from the field so I figured they would provide enough light for a reasonable night shot. I got there about 15 minutes before the train, si walked down the sidewalk and made a few test shots, it was going to be epic. I heard the train horns blaring and just as I could see the ditch lights of the train the field lights were cut off ... crap crap crap.

Did I mention that it started to rain too, oh bother.

My only choice at this point was to run back to the street light near the crossing and fire up the flash and just let the hundreds of inevitable water spots do do their thing. I cranked the flash power down as low as possible, but there's only so much you can do; flashes and rain/snow don't mix well


So, there's all 20 Heritage motors. So now it's on to the next challenge of catching them all leading.

__________________________________
I'd not seen the Original Norfolk Southern before, so this is a new Heritage motor for me. I'm finally at finally at 20 of 20. Woo Hoo !


#13  1065  Savannah and Atlanta
#15  1066  New York Central
#19  1067  Reading
#12  1068  Erie
  #1  1069  Virginian
  #8  1070  Wabash
 #16 1071  Central RR of New Jersey
#11  1072  Illinois Terminal
  #4  1073  Penn Central
 #18 1074  Lackawanna
 #17 8025  Monongahela
  #2  8098  Conrail
#10  8099  Southern
  #5  8100  Nickel Plate Road
  #7  8101  Central of Georgia
  #9  8102  Pennsylvania
 #14 8103  Norfolk and Western
  #3  8104  Lehigh Valley
  #6  8105  Interstate
 #20 8114  Norfolk Southern
_______________________________________________________________
This is not a new Special Interest engine for me.
6920 Honoring Our Veterans
6963 GoRail
  630 Southern Railway Steam
1030 The Forgotten Heritage Engine

No comments:

Post a Comment