Monday, January 27, 2014

Super Bad PRR

For the first time in a couple of months a new Norfolk Southern Heritage engine was passing through Jonesborough. It was going to  pass through after dark, again, so I went to my usual place for nighttime shots: behind the courthouse in downtown Jonesborough.

I had a few minutes to wait so I figured I'd play around with the flash settings and exposures and shooting angles to see if I could coax a picture out of the scene that wasn't just like the others I've shot here. 

Well, it was an unmitigated disaster. You wouldn't think a train could sneak up on you but when my diesel truck is idling, and the courthouse HVAC system is running and a delivery truck is delivering it drowns out the train horns until it's too close to put the camera back to known settings before the train is there. My first clue was when the crossing signals went off ... but it was too late. I set to spinning dials trying desperately to salvage something ... but ... fail.  Such a disservice to the Tuscan Red train featuring the "Cat Whisker" gold pinstripes.

I'm almost embarrassed to publish these pics but they are proof that I saw my ninth Heritage engine and they will serve as impetus to get better pictures to replace them ASAP.



#1 1069 Virginian
#2 8098 Conrail
#3 8104 Lehigh Valley
#4 1073 Penn Central
#5 8100 Nickel Plate Road
#6 8105 Interstate
#7 8101 Central of Georgia
#8 1070 Wabash
#9 8102 Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment