Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Central of Georgia

The latest Norfolk Southern Heritage for me is the Central of Georgia (8101). This time I was really late - almost too late - getting to the designated picture-taking spot, which was behind the courthouse in Jonesborough. As soon as I parked the truck I could heard the horns for the crossing, and then the crossing gates started dropping - I had no more than 30 seconds to tweak the camera settings before it got there.

I knew it had also been cleared all the way through Jonesborough to Bulls Gap, so it wouldn't be slowing down as it came by. I also knew it was the third of three engines, facing rearward so I practiced getting the timing down on the first two engines. 

NS Heritage 8101 - Central of Georgia - Jonesborough, TN

This is the first decent shot I've made with the 35mm f/1.8 lens I got a few weeks ago. I got it because I convinced myself that my normal lens (18-200 f/3.5) wasn't fast enough to get any kind of shot after dark. Maybe I was right. I still dialed the ISO way up and set the shutter to 1/125 at f/1.8, deciding that I had a better chance at brightening a dark picture than getting one bright enough that was in focus.

This makes 7 of 20, only 13 more!

#1 1069 Virginian
#2 8098 Conrail 
#3 8104 Lehigh Valley
#4 1073 Penn Central
#5 8100 Nickel Plate Road
#6 8105 Interstate
#7 8101 Central of Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment